Biryani, also known as biriyani or biriani is a mixed rice dish with its origins among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It is popular throughout the subcontinent and among the diaspora from the region. It is generally made with spices, rice, and meat. The origin of the dish is uncertain. In North India, different varieties of biryani developed in the Muslim centers of Delhi (Mughlai cuisine), Lucknow (Awadhi cuisine) and other small principalities. In South India, where rice is more widely used as a staple food, several distinct varieties of biryani emerged from Telangana, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka. Andhra is the only region of South India that does not have many native varieties of biryani. I have tried to make my own variation while sticking to basics. Scroll below to know my secrets behind a perfect vegetarian Biryani.
- Garlic————————1 pod
- Ginger———————–1 no
- Cumine seeds—————5gms
- Cinnamon stick————-2 nos
- Cardamon——————-4 nos
- Cloves———————–5 nos
- Bayleaf———————-2 nos
- Pepper corn—————-8-10 nos
- Sliced Onion—————5 nos
- Chopped Tomato———-2 nos
- Carrot dices—————-2 nos
- Haricot beans————-10 nos
- Cauliflower florets——–100gms
- Green Peas—————-50gms
- Amul cream————–100gms
- Hung Yogurt————-100gms
- Chilli powder————15gms
- Coriander powder——15gms
- Turmeric powder——-5gms
- Basmati Rice———–150gms
- Saffron—————–as per requirement
- Milk——————–1/2 cup
- Rose water————15ml
- Mint leaves————10gms
- Coriander leaves——10gms
- Green Chilli————3nos
Directions for making Jhol:-
- Cut all the vegetables as mentioned in the ingredients list.(make sure you don’t cut vegetables very small)
- Soak 8-10 saffron strands in 10 warm milk. Prepare fried onions by following this recipe.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame, add whole garam masala(cardamon, cinnamon, clove, bay leaf,cumine seeds) and let it crackle.
- Add sliced onion and cook it on slow flame till nicely caramelized that is brown in colour.(don’t burn them) followed by ginger garlic paste and saute(ensure you add stock if it starts sticking)
- Now add potato dies,cauliflower florets and carrot dices. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Now add french beans, frozen green peas and salt.
- Later add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Stir and cook for a minute. Mix well and cook covered until vegetables are almost cooked. It will take around 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking.(vegetables need to be added in the stated manner to ensure even cooking)
- .Add beaten hung curd, amul cream,chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint, slit chilli and fried onions.Mix well and cook for a minute. Turn off the flame and keep the jhol covered until rice is cooked.
Directions for Cooking Rice:-
- Wash rice in water for 3-4 times and then soak in water for atleast 1 hour.
- In a deep pan pour 3/4th water along with cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf and salt(ensure the water has enough salt ,otherwise the final prouduct would not be as good as it should be)
- Bring it to boil, as soon as it comes to boil add in soaked rice.
- Boil until the rice grain is cooked 85%(ensure that you do not over cook rice otherwise the grain would not be fluffy and separate).
- Strain cooked rice using colander to remove excess water.
Direction for final layering:-
- Now place the cooked rice over jhol(spread it evenly to ensure even cooking).
- Sprinkle saffron-milk mixture, rose water, fried onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves over it. Followed by ghee (or more if desired) on sides of rice and cover the vessel or pan with a tight fitting lid(If the lid is not tight enough then you can use wheat dough to seal it tight).
- Place the vessel over slow flame and let it cook for 12-15 minutes on dum.(ensure the flame is not to high otherwise it will start burning from down).
- After about 15 minutes, turn off the flame. Remove the lid and serve immediately along with vegetable raita and sliced onion.
I hope this recipe would surely win lot of hearts. Do not forgot to share feedback, comment bellow, share recipe with others and follow me on social media platforms to cherish more such recipes till then enjoy.